I think we all agree that social media can be a distraction at times. If you are easily distracted by the various social platforms [Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest (this one is especially distracting. . .all those amazing pictures!) here are a few tips to keep your workday on track.
And now the Tips. . .
- A simple but effective practice is to close all social platforms on your computer. If you don’t need to use a specific platform while working on another project then don’t be tempted. But if you are using LinkedIn for lead generation obviously you will want to have the platform open.
- Set aside a specific time every day to update, review and respond to fans and followers. Exception to this rule: If you are an individual or brand that needs to monitor the internet and respond quickly. If this is the case set up various tools for monitoring that alert you about any activity that relates to you or your business on the web.
- Use your social platforms during off-peak business hours.
- Schedule updates for your social platforms several times during the week. You can use tools like HootSuite and SproutSocial.
- Stay focused. If you are working on a project don’t even think about opening your browser.
What other recommendations do you have about how to stay focused when it comes to social media?
Did you like what you found here?
Want to receive more branding, social media and technology tips in the future? Be sure to subscribe! Do you know others that would benefit from this blog? Be sure to share it with them.
Erik Hultman (a.k.a. E) is the Founder and President of ÜberBlue Digital Media: A New Awakening for Brands, Businesses, Individuals and Agencies. He is also founder of the North Shore Entrepreneurial Network (NSEN) in the Chicago Area.